Came up with this delicious recipe when grilling out on the back patio of the farm the other night, as a nice companion to our dinner. It's amazing the simple yet delicious fresh flavor combinations you can come up with from what you have growing and available to harvest. Eating seasonally is one of our favorite things to do and share with everyone. So we hope you enjoy this Fennel Kale Salad, and if you would like to try it for yourself the recipe kit is currently in season and available for purchase.
The recipe itself is incredibly simple, the most that you will need is some basic knife skills to chop up the ingredients.
Ingredients (included in the recipe kit for $12):
- Young Onions
- Wild Thyme
- Fennel Fronds
What you need to complete the recipe:
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Lemon (for fresh squeezed lemon juice)
- Himalayan Pink Sea Salt (or Kosher Salt)
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- Large Bowl
*Everything prepared will go into your large bowl, before getting mixed together and chilled.
- Cut the long stems off of fennel bulb. Reserve to add fronds to salad.
- Chop fennel into 1/4 inch small pieces, add to bowl.
- Cut tops of onions off, chop tops into 1/2 inch pieces, add to bowl.
- Chop onions, add to bowl.
- Finely chop parsley, add to bowl.
- Strip Savory and Wild Thyme + flowers into bowl.
- Pinch kale off of stem into bite sized pieces. Discard tough stems into compost.
- Pinch tender fennel frond ends into bowl.
Add dressing ingredients directly into the bowl to taste:
(all these ingredients are approximately, as we just add them directly into the bowl to taste)
- Olive Oil (approximately 1/3 cup)
- Vinegar (approximately 1/4 cup)
- Lemon - 1/2 lemon squeezed (into a small bowl first to remove seeds, then pour in)
- Himalayan Pink Sea Salt (1/2 tsp)
- Fresh Ground Black Pepper (1/2 tsp)
**Stir all ingredients together to incorporate, refrigerate for 1 hour before serving so the flavors can integrate. Serve and enjoy!